Somewhere near Death Valley, before we hit a vulture.
Since last posting, I saw Yann Tiersen and a performance of Pride and Prejudice. Saved a lizard from the women’s bathroom while maintaining a brave countenance (I think it was genuinely brave). Did not say bad words at other drivers very often (I keep the venom for when I’m on the road and people can’t talk back), which I think is to say I’ve been in mostly fine spirits. Ate a ton of cookies and don’t feel at all guilty. Told several people on several occasions to stop whining. Managed to not get stressed in stressful situations. Sat down with an old rowing friend for the first time in over a half-decade. Have consumed no beer, but, yes wine, but, better: more than the recommended daily amount of water. Managed to not carelessly forget to recycle. Sketched a valentine that I will post for all of you should I still be here come the 14th.
And, bam!, I’ve said it. I’m leaving this blog. It’s had a good, chugging haul. I am not deleting it (too many links! learned my lesson with LiveJournal!). I am not leaving Tumblr. Just moving. The reasons for abandoning Locomotive Hootenanny are related to the reasons I’m starting a different blog:
1) It’s change. A minor change, but a significant one. I have this idea that starting a new blog will muster up the gumption to get more involved with other new things, take other things more seriously - cooking, learning design, seriously writing.
2) The new tumblr contains my name, and I hope that will make me consider what I’m posting.
3) It is tied to my flavors.me account, which in addition to being a personal resource, is a professional one and the blog linked should have a more professional title.
4) I know some of you are tired of me. Hell, I don’t even know multiple-thousands of you. This move gives us the chance to casually fall into a state of mutually conscious forgetfulness - we can just forget to follow one another.
5) I feel as if I have, erm, how should I put this…lost the ability to control how I am perceived on Locomotive Hootenanny. I’m not claiming to be a deep thinker, no, not saying that. But I feel that somewhere along the line, it turned into a blog given solely to public entertainment. And for various reasons - none of which are exciting or surprising - I don’t need the Internet-attention anymore.
But, my god, I like the Internet and the outlet it provides for organizing thoughts with the added reward of interacting with like-minded people. I like many of you more than a lot and some of you I like more than you likely deserve. Hell, let’s face it - the new blog won’t be much different. I hope to rework and edit the “facts” of the family stories I posted long ago; I hope to post more recipes that I totally intend to cook; I hope to post more things that I have created. I will probably start tagging, but not ironically. I may use it as a bookmarking tool more than I have in the past, or I may not. My tastes may not be yours, but they’re alright - I think you could bear them. So, let’s gradually make the move, shall we?
I’ll be here. There’s a joke-bio up at the moment, but it’s something.
I’ll start following some of you over the weekend when I have more time to cull through. I’ll probably post on here for a while longer. Moving is a disgusting process and I’ll try to avoid sounding too desperate or morose when my feelings are invariably hurt by your refusal to follow me (it took me months of clever devotion to get some of you to follow back). But maybe the heartbreak will make me a true artist or something.